My First Rodeo

        Hello again! It's your favorite DJ/Producer Calculations Of. I have many things to be blessed about and one HUGE thing is my parents. They are both veterans, and have had a chance to travel the world & experience new things. My parents wanted to introduce their kids to many things and that's exactly what they did. Today I am going to tell the tale of when I went to my very first rodeo. Yes you heard that right. A rodeo with horses & bull riding, big trucks, and country music.

        My parents used to live in Blairsville, GA which was in upstate Georgia. It was what you'd think of a town in the Appalachian Mountains, characters and all. Another important fact is that the whole summer I was there I only saw 5 other black people I was there. I'm totally not exaggerating the numbers. Now that that image has been painted, imagine my family (only black people there) attending a rodeo. Coming in I saw a big arena, there were some vendors sprinkled all over, and notably two ambulance trucks. My dad of course had to wear one of his sporty cowboy esque hats.

        The rodeo started with the national anthem that was sung by some cowgirl. This was an intense moment. EVERYONE stood up to attention. I could tell this was NOT the event you kneel at if you know what I mean. Right after the anthem a bunch of ranchers and cowboys did some laps around the arena with a HUGE american flag. Not gonna lie this kind of wrapped me in. This was the first time I saw some legit cowboys and cowgirls do some cowboy stuff. I've rode horses before and whatnot, but this was different.

        By the way, the whole time this event was going on there was a DJ. Yes, they had a DJ on the 1s and 2s, and he must've been dropping that fire because the crowd was going wild after each song. He was funny, entertaining, and made the event fun. He often had sketches he'd do with the rodeo clown up in the booth. I'm not going to lie they both were funny. One guy saw us laughing and enjoying ourselves and gave us a nod like, “I mess with ya'll because you respect and appreciate my kind of event”. I could dig it.

        Before the rodeo events they had a lot of games for the audience. There was a contest for women and they had to chase a pig and take a flag off it in the middle of the stadium. Some of them fell multiple times in the horse poop covered ring. There also was a horseshoe challenge. If you threw the horseshoe a certain distance and it wrapped around the ring you could win a BIG FORD truck. No one won.

        There were tons of rodeo sports. There was an event where cowgirls raced around barrels. There was also a hog tying contest for men and women. That was crazy. Once those pigs were released them jokers MOVED. They were very fast and those cow folk put the freaking pedal to the hoof to catch them. Some actually didn't catch them. The event everyone was excited the most about was the bull riding, and I was soon about to realize why.

        These cowboys that rode these bulls were rockstars. They came out with their teams and did a lap around the arena. Real G stuff. They probably could've snagged any girl in that arena. One thing I noticed was the ambulances started moving closer and some teams got ready like they were about to go to work. Oh yeah it was time. The actual times they were on the bulls seemed like a blink of an eye. These bulls were HUGE. HUGE. This was a qualifying round so they were just going for times. It was hard to determine if there was a clear winner, because everyone got knocked off.

        By the time the bull riding was over I was sold. I really had a blast. If my parents didn't raise me the way they did I never would've experienced something like this. Didn't even step in horse poop like I was expecting to. The moral of this story is that don't judge a book by it's cover (or in this case by the type of event), you might enjoy yourself if you don't!

Comments

Popular Posts