Artist Spotlight: Blood Groove & Kikis

Blood Groove & Kikis

        There's nothing like discovering new music. Well, maybe discovering new music is comparable to the feeling you got when opening new presents on Christmas day as a kid. Being a DJ/Producer myself discovering new music is a task I dedicate several hours out of the week to. I listen to everything (country included believe it or not), but when it comes to my own music tastes I lean more towards melodic deep house. Many of my favorite house music DJs and producers seem to be associated with the London based record label Anjunadeep.

        I knew there were other labels that produced music similar to their signature sound so I began my search. It didn't last long. I came across a popular reddit thread that asked the same question. “What other labels make music like Anjunadeep”? Many were mentioned, but the one that I connected most to was Los Angeles based record label Silk Music. After playing track after track on Silk Music's soundcloud I came across the Latvian production duo Blood Groove & Kikis. Their most recent EP Dreamland immediately was added to my rotation of daily listening.

        Their Dreamland EP consists of three songs “Dreamland”, “Circle”, and “Red Sky”. This whole EP has somewhat of a “mature” tone. The uses of their pluck synth lines, and melodic string/pad lines give it a “world music” feel. Being a string player as well, I loved that they used string instruements and pads to lead into different sections of their songs & accentuate their synth lines. The bass lines of “Dreamland” and “Red Sky” are very active and don't leave sections of these songs stagnate. Because of these bass heavy lines, when the bass is removed it allows other synths and melodic phrases to really come out. My favorite song on this EP is “Dreamland”, but I can say I like all of them equally as much.

        I'm very curious to hear what their next project will sound like. BGK's whole EP is strictly instrumental so I'd like to see how this duo handles a vocalist. Perhaps a female with airy like vocals might fit their production style well. While a vocalist might make them sound more “mainstream” I don't think this would change their core sound. If you're a fan of house music Blood Groove & Kikis might be your new favorite musicians. I'm a fan of Blood Groove & Kikis' and you might be too if you give them a listen.

You can follow and listen to Blood Groove & Kikis here:

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/bloodgroove-kikis
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bloodgroovekikis
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/bloodgroove_kikis



Comments

Popular Posts