High School Friends Still Making Music Together

        Throughout grade school I took several music classes, and even changed schools for better music programs. For the last two years of high school I attended a boarding arts school about 4 hours away from home. I was exposed to all areas of art there. I was able to interact with dancers, writers, and artists daily. I went to an arts high school before this, but it couldn't compare. I had the opportunity to play with amazing musicians from all over the state, and it made me grow so much as a musician (I played viola by the way). That time was such an important time for many of the students there, so naturally you'd keep in touch with friends over the years.

        My senior year oh high school I played in an ensemble with a cellist Patrick O'Neil. We continued to play together through college, but we fell out of touch when I dropped out. I spoke to him on and off for a few years, but it was the ole “Hey, how's it going”. He continued to play cello, while I decided to learn how to DJ & produce music. We reconnected again during the covid lockdowns and I was amazed how much he progressed skill wise (he plays in the Asheville Symphony). He told me he was interested in recording and playing over tracks so you know it was ABOUT TO GO DOWN. I've worked with several violinists, but never a cello player.

        Once he told me he was setup to record I sent him a record I wasn't feeling. I had no clue how this would turn out. One of my good friends (The Captain) liked it so I always came back to it. I made it in a drug haze so I really wanted to be done with it. I think the real reason I kept the song in my library was because I liked the sounds I used. I'm glad I didn't delete it or forget about it. I sent it to my friend Patrick and when he sent it back I was blown away. The lines he played on his cello fit perfectly. My back and shoulders were in so much pain recently (still are), but I fought through it because I wanted to hear the finished product. It was totally worth it.

        Listen to a preview of "Firstone" here:

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts