Artist Spotlight: Jerro

            The first time I went to a show hosted by label This Never Happened was in Denver, Colorado. I was a little caught off guard because before we went in we had to put covers on our phone. The artist hosting the event, Lane 8 wanted this to be an intimate setting. At most shows you can see a sea of lights from people's cell phones. This can be very distracting to the performers, and it shows people rather be on their phones than enjoy the music. Most of the time fan videos from shows are crappy with tons of bad angles, and distorted audio. After this show Lane 8 solidified the label This Never Happened, and started letting other musicians release music under his new founded label.

            I've been a fan of Lane 8 ever since I've heard some of his releases on Anjunadeep (you all know how I feel about Anjunadeep). Earlier today I saw him congratulate a producer I never heard of (Jerro) on twitter about his new release on his label. I liked everything I heard from This Never Happened label so I figured I'd just buy Jerro's EP after listening to a quick snippet. I'm glad I did. Jerro's EP Closer just makes you feel good. After hearing this EP you can kind of get a sense of what releases might sound like on This Never Happened.

Source: This Never Happened

           The first song on this EP “Demons” immediately establishes the tone of Jerro's Closer EP. Many of the songs on this EP have a bass synth that sounds “familiar”. Despite this, the bass lines in each song is never stagnant, and accompanied with his chord progressions always give it a driving feel. Jerro's choice of synths aren't aggressive until you hear “Sturdy”. “Sturdy”'s saw chords are bright (compared to his other sounds) which makes this song feel like an outlier compared to the rest of the EP. It's somewhat “wild” arpeggiated synth lines and buildup could make the dance floor move differently compared to the first four songs on this EP. I enjoyed this release and I'm excited to hear what else Jerro will create in the future.

Comments

Popular Posts