No More Shows? How Covid 19 Changed The Music Industry

 


        I don't think anyone knew how much covid 19 would affect the world. When first hearing about the coronavirus it was met with tons of corona (Mexican pale lager) jokes, and downplayed it as simply just a flu. As of today there have been 880,000+ deaths due to the coronavirus. Many industries have been affected by the impact of the coronavirus such as the food, travel, and hospitality industries. One that has been affected immensely has been the music industry.

        Since the lockdowns started many music venues, bars, and clubs that hosted music have been hurt immensely. So what are the musicians that performed regularly at these places doing now? Since the lock down I've seen many musicians that were active in the gig market rely on their online fanbases to help make ends meet. I've seen several new live stream shows, online concerts, and podcasts come out of the quarantine. Even famous musicians have followed the trend most notably Tory Lanez with his Quarantine Radio, and the Verzuz Battles series. I believe the future of music lies with is the internet. The internet doesn't limit you to the small number of people you'd normally perform to in a venue, and you can reach people all over the world.

        I wanted to ask several musicians one simple question. How has the coronavirus affected your music career? Here are the responses to the few that actually replied:

        “It affected me not to be able to entertain on an every day basis like I am use to! However I will say that it has taught me growth mentally and spiritually and how to really find my purpose and destiny in life to where I don’t have to depend on governments decisions and how to prepare for the worst...I encourage everybody to find their gifts and purpose.” - Beatman Fresh – Multi Instrumentalist, Producer

        “COVID 19 has canceled all of my gigs since March of 2020. I am fortunate to have a part-time professor job, but I am making about half the income I used to, before the pandemic.” Nicholas Fife - Assistant Lecturer of Brass Studies at Coker University

        "Covid’s been bittersweet for me because all my gigs got cancelled; and although i wanted to play out I didn’t want to endanger myself working a gig. The lock down gave me a valuable amount of time to hone my skills and revise the way I approach my craft which has been revolutionary for me as an artist." DBLCRWN Producer, DJ

        Many musicians are still struggling due to covid 19 despite some venues slowly reopening. There are also several new outdoor concert series and social distancing concerts that are happening on the local & national level. Now is the time to actually support your favorite local musicians by tuning into their live streams, actually buying their music, and simply providing encouragement to push on. They need all the help they can get during this time!

Comments

Popular Posts